Esau and Jacob - the twin sons of Rebekah (Genesis 25:19–26)
For many years after the marriage of Isaac and Rebecca they did not have children. At last, however, God answered their prayers and gave them two sons, Esau and Jacob.
Esau was the elder of the two. When he grew up, he became a great hunter and farmer. Jacob, however stayed at home in the tents of his father. Isaac loved Esau best because he liked the good things Esau brought him to eat. But Rebecca loved Jacob best.
One day, as Jacob was cooking some vegetables, Esau came in from the field. He was very hungry and asked Jacob for some of the vegetables he was cooking. Jacob said: "Sell me your place as the elder son, and I shall give you something to eat." Because he was hungry and tired, Esau sold his birthright in the family to Jacob, without giving much thought to it. He was glad to get something to eat and drink. In this way, Esau sold his birthright to Jacob for a mess of pottage.
Now, Isaac had grown very old and could no longer see. One day, fearing that he should die, he called his favorite son, Esau, and said to him: "You know that I may die any day. Go out and hunt, and bring me the things you know I like, that I may partake of them. And I shall bless you before I die." Esau hurried out to do what his father had asked.
But Rebekah , having heard the words of Isaac called Jacob and told him all that she had heard. She said: "Bring me two young goats from the flock, that I may cook them for your father."
When the meat was cooked, Rebekah dressed Jacob in Esau's clothes, covered his neck and hands with hairy skins, and sent him with the food to Isaac to get his brother’s blessings. At first, Jacob did not wish to go. But finally he consented to do as his mother wished.
Believing it was really Esau, Isaac ate the meat, and then gave Jacob his blessing. He thought that Jacob was his eldest son, Esau.
No comments:
Post a Comment