Photobucket        Photobucket             Phone Icon   Photobucket       

How Did Isaac met his wife Rebekah?

Rebekah the wife of Isaac (Gen. 24)
When Abraham became very old, he called Eliazer, his servant and said, "Please do not obtain a wife for my son, Isaac, from the women of the Canaanites. Go to Naharaim where I have relatives and find a wife for my son there."

Eliazer answered, "Suppose she will not wish to follow me to this land, shall I then take your son there?"

Abraham said, "No, never take my son back here. If the woman does not come, you will be released from your oath." The servant then took ten camels and went to Naharaim where Nahor, his relative lived. In the evening he came near a well and saw some women come out to draw water. He prayed, "Lord, show me the young woman for Isaac. Now if I say, 'Lower your jar that I may drink' and she answers, 'Drink and I will also water your camels,' she it is whom you have chosen for your servant Isaac."

Then Rebecca  came out. She was very beautiful. She filled her jar and as she came up the servant said, "If you please, let me drink a little water from your jar."

She answered, "Drink, sir," and let him drink. Then she said, "I will also draw water for your camels."

When the camels had finished drinking, he gave her gold ring and two bracelets, and asked, "Whose daughter are you? Is there room in his house for me to stay for the night?"

She answered, "My father is Bathuel." She added, "We have plenty of straw and there is room to spend the night." Then she went home. Her brother, Laban, went to meet the visitor and invited him to the house.

When Eliazer was given food, he said, "I will not eat before I have delivered my message."

They said, "Speak."

Eliazar said, "My master, Abraham, has a son. He sent me to find a wife for him from his relatives. Now, will Rebecca like to go with me?"

Laban and his family answered, "This comes from the Lord. Let Rebecca be married to your master's son as the Lord has decided." Then they asked her, "Will you go with this man?"

She answered, "I will." Then she and her maids mounted their camels and went with Eliazer. She became Isaac's wife.


No comments: